If you are a lover of creamy soups, then this will be a hit in your home! A potent anti-cancer soup with both broccoli and leeks featuring high on the list of conquering-cancer-at-any-stage foods. A yummy healing, nourishing meal!
- • 2 - 3 heads of broccoli, stems and florets chopped coarsely
- • 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- • 2 leek stalks, roughly sliced
- • ¾ cup of red lentils, rinsed and drained. No need to soak or pre-cook.
- • 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (I use Thai Kitchen brand)
- • Liquid: either home-made stock, or organic low sodium ready-made broth (e.g. Pacific brand) or dissolve 2 organic vegetable stock cubes (e.g. Rapunzel brand) in 4-5 cups of hot water.
- • Spices to taste: celtic sea salt, black pepper, paprika, pinch of cayenne pepper (a little goes a long way)
- • Pumpkin or Sunflower seeds, toasted
- In a large pot, sweat the onion on medium-low heat in a little olive oil, coconut oil or organic ghee for about 5 minutes, add chopped garlic & leeks for another minute, then add the lentils, stirring for about 2-3 minutes, add the liquid and spices until all ingredients are covered and there is enough room for liquid to boil off.
- Simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Add the broccoli and simmer gently until they are bright green and softer (not mushy), about another 4-6 minutes.
- When done and cooled, puree in a blender or food processor, or use a hand-held blender.
• 1 cup raw cashews
• 1 cup water
• 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon or orange juice
• ¼ tsp sea salt
• optional: pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
I throw it all into my blender, it takes a 2-3 minutes until a delicate smooth texture develops. It is really yummy! As you would with regular cream, just swirl a dollop into your soup, sprinkle with toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds and enjoy!