Chai Tea Cookies
Vegan I Gluten Free Yields about 30 small cookies (2” diameter) Inspired by “Süss und Gesund Weihnachten” by Stefanie Reeb
Author: Eat Holistic LLC
Recipe type: Christmas Cookie
- ½ cup + 4 Tablespoons blanched almond flour
- 1 ½ Tablespoons Tapioca Starch*
- ⅓ cup Coconut Palm sugar
- 6 Tablespoons water
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teabags Chai Spice tea
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 4 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- ¾ cup dark (70%) chocolate chips for garnish
- *Tapioca starch can be replaced with Corn starch (make sure it is organic as conventional corn starch is not non-GMO).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently melt coconut oil and maple syrup together under low heat.
- Combine almond flour, tapioca starch, coconut palm sugar, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Cut open the Chai Tea bags and add to bowl.
- Add melted coconut oil and maple syrup to bowl, mix all ingredients well with a large wooden spoon.
- Place teaspoon size dough balls on a baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper, flatten gently with your fingers. They won’t expand much.
- Bake 6-7 minutes. Allow to cool completely as they will be soft when still warm.
- Melt chocolate chips in double boiler. Line cooled cookies on cookie racks. Using a fork, dip it into the melted chocolate and “paint” across numerous cookies at once, allowing for thin chocolate strands to cover the cookies. Allow to cool and the chocolate to harden, before storing in a cookie tin, separating each layer with a piece of unbleached parchment paper.