Chili Bean Medley
Author: Eat Holistic LLC
Recipe type: Stew
- 1 ½ TBSP cumin seeds
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced & seeds removed
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- ½ cup red potatoes, diced
- 1 red & 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 cans of black beans (15 oz, BPA-free lining, Eden brand is a good choice)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz, BPA-free lining – Muir Glen brand is good choice)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 cup collard greens, chopped
- For garnish: avocado, cilantro
- Toast cumin seeds in a dry pot until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic & jalapeño, and peppers, sweat until onion is translucent.
- If substituting beans with meat, add now and brown.
- Add chili powder & vegetables, sauté for 3-4 minutes. Then add rest of ingredients except collard greens. Simmer about 25 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in collard greens & remove from heat.
- Serve garnished with avocado (optional) and cilantro, chopped.