This easy raw, no-bake recipe is great for making ahead and freezing. If you do, make sure you seprate each layer of balls with parchment paper in the container you will use to freeze them in (I use freezable glass pyrex dishes with lids) I adapted this from a recipe by Alexis at hummusapien.com
Festive Choco-Mint Balls
Author: Kirstin Nussgruber
Recipe type: Treats
Serves: about 30 small balls
- Makes approximately 30 balls
- 1 cup walnuts (raw)
- 1 cup almonds (raw)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons ground flaxseeds*
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup pitted dates, packed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (optional, this would make it too sweet for my taste)
- 2 tablespoons almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (for rolling)
- *Clients of mine and those who have done my online programs can easily use the power seed mix here instead.
- Add the walnuts and almonds to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the sharp s-blade and pulse until they are ground. Alternatively, buy the nuts in ground form for nuts.com
- Add the cocoa powder, flax seeds & salt and pulse for another2-4 times until combined.
- Add the dates, maple syrup, almond milk & peppermint extract. Process together until a sticky dough forms, scraping down sides as needed.
- Remove blade and roll into small balls using moistened hands – it works best for me if I wash off the dough residue and re-moisten my hands a few times in between the rolling.
- Roll balls in shredded coconut.