How to cook basic quinoa:
1 cup Quinoa 2 cups water Makes approx. 3 cups cooked Quinoa and takes about 15 – 20 min to cook. It is important to rinse the grains in a fine mesh sieve prior to cooking, as each grain is coated in bitter tasting saponins that serve as a bird and insect repellant, and can hinder mineral absorption. Rinsing until the water runs clear effectively removes this layer. Tri-color quinoa can be bought already packaged this way. You can use any color quinoa of course.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 medium-sized carrots, grated
- ½ bunch Kale, de-stalked and finely chopped
- ½ cup white cabbage, shredded
- ½ cup cucumber, finely diced
- ¼ cup green onion, finely sliced
- ⅛ cup sesame seeds, toasted in a dry skillet under medium heat for 2-4 minutes, stirring constantly)
- ⅛ cup sunflower seeds, toasted in a dry skillet under medium heat for 2-4 minutes, stirring constantly
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup olive oil (EVOO)
- ⅛ cup apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Dash of water
- ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2-3 tablespoons Coconut Aminos (a liquid spice available wherever you find soy sauce)
- Season to taste: Celtic sea salt, Herbamare herb salt, black pepper, dash of cayenne pepper, dash of ground paprika
- Combine all salad ingredients.
- Whisk vinaigrette ingredients together vigorously.
- Pour over salad and mix well.
- Let stand in fridge a while for flavors to unfold, but can be served immediately, it will still be yum!
- If it gets a little dry, just add a dash of olive oil to moisten up.